Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a highly poisonous gas produced by burning carbon based fuels such as gas, coal, oil and wood. It has no taste, colour or odour and victims of Carbon Monoxide poisoning are generally unaware that they are being poisoned until they become very ill and are subsequently diagnosed with it – if they are lucky. In some instances every year Carbon Monoxide poisoning very quickly proves fatal for a number of its victims – some of them stove users. The problem is that many of the symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning are often mistaken for flue or food poisoning and include headaches, dizziness, fatigue and weakness, so they can tend to go unnoticed.

It is very important to everyone at The Stove Yard that all of our customers are fully aware of the potential risks of exposure to Carbon monoxide from operating wood burning and multi fuel stoves. These risks are dramatically increased under the following circumstances:

  • If a Carbon Monoxide detector has not been fitted
    From October 2010 it became a requirement of UK Building Regulations to fit a CO detector whenever a stove is installed.
    Page Blocks Preview